Professional and secure online therapy for folks navigating religious deconstruction and the effects of adverse religious experiences and spiritual abuse.
I work with people who have been raised in an unhealthy religious or belief system and experience a gap between who they know they are internally, and who they feel able to portray within their society or community.
How I can help you
I help my clients to:
- Understand how their past informs how they experience the present.
- Live authentic and congruent lives, especially when it comes to faith and religion, sexuality, and vocation.
- Work through the unique dynamics related to religious deconstruction, spiritual abuse, and adverse religious experiences.
- Build skills to live the best life possible with confidence and vision.
My clients are able to establish meaning for their life that is consistent with their own values and supported by healthy community.
I provide client-centred, confidential, and safe space to do long lasting and deep inner work. This "in-between" space offers the chance for transformation that applies to all areas of life.
My integrated approach offers many options for exploration and growth.
Work with me
120 CAD / 90 USD / 80 EUR
People who benefit from my services are often dealing with challenging dynamics related to:
- Religious trauma
- Adverse religious experiences
- Spiritual abuse
- Religious deconstruction
- Relational/family dynamics
- Leaving religion
- Purity culture
- Coming to terms with sexuality and/or gender
- Existential questioning
- Rebuilding a new life
- Feeling isolated
What to Expect
I am an every-day, down-to-earth person and I avoid top-down relationships, admit to my own shortcomings, and meet my clients on a personal, human level.
We are built for connection; when we truly experience healthy connection and community, so much can change and be restored.
I am a life-long learner; I hold a strong curiosity about the world and believe in “further up and further in.”
I believe in the ‘village’ and I highly value collaboration with others whose work intersects with mine, whether other mental health professionals, artists, faith leaders, NGOs, and more.
I highly respect the autonomy of my clients and their process, and hold space for all individuals, regardless of religion, sexuality, gender, age, or ethnicity.
I am trustworthy and I do what I say that I will do.
Yes, I use only HIPAA compliant, secure technology for my sessions and the storage of my notes. Confidentiality is of top importance and I do everything in my power to make sure this is the case, especially through the internet. If you would like more information about which specific programs I use, I am happy to answer any questions!
Within Canada, I can see clients who are located in all provinces and territories, except for Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick (due to provincial regulations).
Technology offers a lot of flexibility and many of my clients live all over the world, especially in the Middle East. It really depends on the regulations for therapists in the country where you live. I am happy to do research on this as part of deciding whether we are a good fit.
That's no problem! I offer a free 20 minute consultation without any pressure to book a session afterwards. It is really important to me that both of us feel good about working together.
I have in the past and may again in the future, but at this point I currently see clients exclusively online.
Studies overwhelmingly suggest that it is! I encourage you to do your research, but just as a place to start, check out these articles:
I use an integrated approach to therapy, as I believe that this offers endless possibilities for exploration; however, I mostly draw from Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Narrative Therapy, and Family Systems Therapy. See my blog for more information.
- Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Counselling from Briercrest Seminary (2017)
- Bachelor of Arts in Religious Studies, minor in Psychology from Trinity Western University (2012)
- Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (#10000991), with the professional designation of Canadian Certified Counsellor (CCC)
- Middle East Psychological Association
- Motivational Interviewing (2017)
- Certificate in TeleMental Health and Digital Ethics - Zur Institute (2019)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) for Beginners (2019)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) for Trauma (2019)